Parenting arrangements and Custody

Reaching an agreement with your partner about your children can be very difficult. It is usually a very stressful time, and it can reach a stage where you require assistance to help you work through the issues. The impact of parental separation on children is well-documented. Children are affected and may react in different ways, and this often depends on the child’s age and level of cooperation between the parents’ following separation. The negative effects can be traumatic, affecting their development well into adulthood.

If you and your former partner can agree on the future arrangements for your children after separation, you do not have to go to Court, you can make a parenting plan, or alternatively you can prepare an application and obtain consent orders approved by a Court.

If you and your former partner are unable to agree, you are required to attend Mediation. If Mediation is unsuccessful, you can then make an application for parenting orders to the Federal Circuit and Family Court of Australia to have the parenting issues determined. A parenting order may also be applied for by the child, a grandparent or any other person concerned with the care and welfare of the child.

Sorting through these parenting matters is not straight-forward. It requires the balancing of your needs against the needs of the children, and their right to have a meaningful relationship with both parents.

The right experience, advice and counsel can make an enormous difference when negotiating and mapping out child custody arrangements.

Whether you require assistance to prepare an Application for Consent Orders, or need us to represent you in Court, the team at Fimmano Lawyers here to support you in seeking an outcome that is in the best interests for your children.